Here I will try and keep up to date the my progress on the design of this board game.

Monday, March 10, 2008

First Playtest

There is nothing like play testing to burst my bubbles.

As I build up a prototype and think up or choose mechanics to fill in the holes I often get giddy about how I imagine the final game will play. Since this game has a lot going on it has been impossible for me to get the whole game in my head at once. So it wasn't until I tried playing a four player game did I see the game for what it is.



While some parts of the game work well the short of it is the game is too random. It is too hard build a plan and then execute it.

I have to give more thought to the order of events. I think I will double or tripple certain parts of the events before you move on to the next part.

Produce raw materials
Produce Gizmos - creating supply of some lowering their potential values
buy stocks


Produce raw materials
Produce Gizmos - creating supply of some lowering their potential values
buy stocks


Produce raw materials
Produce Gizmos - creating supply of some lowering their potential values
buy stocks


THEN
Choose and ship products - and learn what the new demand is

THEN
Sell stocks

This way players can spend some time predicting what will be in high demand.

Since I am probably going to use something like the above I will probably call one cycle a quarter and end the game after four.

But before I thought of that had another idea for ending the game. I had an idea about putting a specially marked cube in the market bag and when its drawn the quarter ends. I like this idea but its probably not enough structure for deciding how fast a game proceeds.

Maybe I will still use the special cube idea for some other aspect.

No comments: